Symbiosis is one of India's leading educational institutions imparting quality education for over 30 years. Symbiosis is a family of 32 academic institutions spread across eight campuses in and around Pune, sister city to Mumbai - India's commercial capital, and is host to over 30,000 Indian and international students on campus.
These campuses epitomize the Symbiosis motto, "Promoting International Understanding through Quality Education" and are a beehive of international students from all across the globe, being privy to Indian culture and hospitality. Many of these campuses are fully residential complete with recreational facilities that include swimming pools, amphitheatres and health care centers. Besides this, Symbiosis has over 80,000 students participating in its distance learning programmes.
Dr. S. B. Mujumdar
President & Founder Director
In 1971, Dr. S.B. Mujumdar established the Symbiosis International Cultural & Educational Centre in Pune primarily to promote friendship, co-operation and understanding between foreign and Indian students and to cater to the needs and difficulties of foreign students studying in Pune, mostly Afro-Asian students. Since then, he has established 32 institutions under the aegis of 'Symbiosis' that impart training in 100 different courses ranging from KG, Primary, Secondary Education to Law, Human Resource Development, Foreign Trade, Management, Computer, Arts & Commerce, Mass Communication, Telecommunication, Information Technology etc. Symbiosis today is a premier educational group in Pune and possesses exceptional brand equity in the sphere of management education.
Felicitations / Honours received
- The 'Padma Bhushan' Award.
At the hands of Hon. President of India, Ms. Pratibhatai Patil. At Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi on Thursday, March 22, 2012.
- The Padmashree Award - 2005.
At the hands of His Hon. President of India, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam.
- Pune Municipal Corporation -Yashwantrao Chavan Puraskar - 1998.
At the hands of Shri. Ramakrishna Hegde, Former Union Minister for Commerce.
- Rotary Club, Pune - Service Excellence Recognition Award (SERA)1998
- Bandhuta Pratishthan Award - Promotion of Brotherhood (1997)
Social Service to the downtrodden
- Institute of Marketing & Management - Excellence in Education & Top Management Club Award
At the hands of Dr. P.C Alexander, Governor of Maharashtra
- Rotary Club of Pune Award- Promotion of International Understanding
- Pune Municipal Corporation - Outstanding College Teacher Award
At the hands of Jayantrao Tilak
Dr. Vidya Yeravdekar
Dr. Vidya Yeravdekar is the Principal Director of Symbiosis Society, which encompasses the Symbiosis schools and institutions under the Symbiosis International University. A dream of her father, Dr. S .B Mujumdar of creating 'a home away from home ' for international students, Symbiosis today , has transformed itself into a multi-disciplinary, multinational, multi-cultural International University having students from all states of India and international students from 85 different countries. The University has institutes under 7 faculties viz. Management, Law, Humanities & Social Sciences, Health & Biomedical Sciences, Computer Studies, Engineering, Media Communication & Design.
Dr. Vidya holds a Post Graduate Degree in Medicine, a degree in Law and a Ph.D in 'Internationalisation of Higher Education in India’. To promote international understanding through quality education, she has brought in innovative approaches at Symbiosis International University through international collaborations with some of the top Universities in the world.
Dr. Vidya has been able to influence policy regulations for promoting and bringing in innovative approaches to higher education in India through her appointments on various governmental bodies. She has been a member of University Grants Commission (UGC), Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE) and Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR). She is a member of the Governing Board of several organisations like Indian Institute of Mass Communication, Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs, Swarnim Gujarat Sports University, Yeshwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University, Research Committee of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), Public Health Foundation of India and Symbiosis University of Applied Sciences, Indore. She is a Member of the State Knowledge Advisory Board of Higher Education, Government of Andhra Pradesh and Member of the Task Team of Arts Management Strategy for Karnataka. She is a member of many corporate bodies such as Mahratta Chamber of Commerce & Industries, Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI), Confederation of India Industry (CII), and Not for profit organisations like HK Firodiya Foundation, India International Centre (IIC), Pune International Centre (PIC) & Pune Citizens Police Foundation.
Dr. Vidya has been appointed as Director on the Board of RITES Limited under Ministry of Railways, Government of India.
Recently, Dr. Vidya has been appointed as Member of Sub-Group on Higher & Technical Education and Skill Development of Chief Minister’s Advisory Council, Government of Rajasthan.
Dr. Vidya has presented papers at various National & International Conferences and has numerous research publications to her credit. She has authored a book on ‘Internationalization of Higher Education in India’ based on her experiences and research in this field. This book is published by SAGE
Dr.Vidya’s hard work has won her numerous awards and accolades and she is now focussed on making Symbiosis International University benchmarked amongst one of the best Universities in Asia.
Symbiosis, capturing the spirit of its biological meaning, was formed as an international cultural and educational center in 1971 primarily to promote global understanding between Indian and foreign students through education. Today, the Symbiosis Society proudly runs 32 academic institutions ranging from kindergarten to postgraduate institutes. Thousands of students from over 32 countries pursue studies at Symbiosis Institutes. In Symbiosis, excellence is a passion. A competent, dedicated and devoted Director heads each institute. The managing committee of Symbiosis comprises of eminent academicians, industrialists, bankers and social workers, who with their knowledge and experience guide the activities of this society.
The Symbiosis Family
- Symbiosis International Cultural Centre (SICC)
- English Language Teaching Institute Symbiosis (ELTIS)
- Symbiosis Society’s Law College (SSLC)
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management (SIBM)
- Dr. Ambedkar Institute of Research in Law & Development (DAIRLD)
- Symbiosis Society’s College of Arts, Commerce and Computer Science (SACC)
- Symbiosis Nursery School (SNS)
- Symbiosis Primary School (SPS)
- Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research (SICSR)
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication (SIMC)
- Symbiosis Society’s Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Museum & Memorial (SSAMM)
- Symbiosis Secondary School (SSS)
- Symbiosis Institute of International Business (SIIB)
- Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies (SIMS) (For Defence Personnel & their dependants)
- Symbiosis Centre for Management and Human Resource Development (SCMHRD)
- Symbiosis SPA (SS)
- Symbiosis Institute of Telecom Management (SITM)
- Symbiosis Centre of Health Care (SCHC)
- Symbiosis Society’s Vidhyavardhini High School Harali, Dist. Kolhapur
- Symbiosis Centre for Information Technology (SCIT)
- Symbiosis Society’s Kindergarten, Nasik (SKN)
- Symbiosis School, Nasik (SSN)
- Symbiosis Institute of Foreign Languages (SIFL)
- Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning ( SCDL)
- Symbiosis Society’s Afro Asian Cultural Museum
- Symbiosis International Educational Centre, Deemed University (SIEC)
- Symbiosis Centre for Management Studies (Under Graduate) (SCMS-UG)
- Symbiosis Institute of Design (SID)
- Symbiosis Institute of Geo Informatics (SIG)
- Symbiosis Institute of Teacher Education (SITE)
- Symbiosis Institute of Operations Management (SIOM)
- Symbiosis International School (SIS)
- Symbiosis Open School (SOS)
- Symbiosis Institute of Health Sciences (SIHS)
- Symbiosis Centre of Liberal Arts