Symbiosis is a family of 48 academic institutions, imparting quality education for over 50 years. It is host to over 40,000 Indian and International students on campus.
These campuses epitomize the Symbiosis motto, 'Promoting International Understanding through Quality Education' and are a beehive of international students from all across the globe, being privy to Indian culture and hospitality. Many of these campuses are fully residential and have recreational facilities which include swimming pools, amphitheaters & Health Care centres. Keeping its excellent track record in mind, in 2002, the Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India conferred the 'Deemed to be University' status on Symbiosis.
Dr. S. B. Mujumdar
Chancellor, Symbiosis International
(Deemed University) &
Founder and President, Symbiosis
I am delighted to welcome you to the Symbiosis International (Deemed University). The University is part of the larger Symbiosis family, which is built on the core ideal of Vasudhaiv Kutumbakam—the world is one family.
The University stands at the frontiers of global innovation in academics as well as all the other components that make education whole. I invite you to peruse the extensive range of resources and opportunities that we offer to all the members of the University. From classrooms to wellness centres, the amenities are both plenty and first-rate. Most important of all, the teaching and non-teaching staff at the University combine in them the calibre and culture to help students fulfil their higher education goals.
At Symbiosis, we are keenly aware of the enormous responsibility that a higher education institution must bear. Besides imparting knowledge and know-how of the subject of choice, the institution must prepare the student to thrive in the career of his choice and contribute to the good of the global citizenry.
The University makes every effort to live up to its institutional mission of internationalization. A quick tour of our campuses will confirm that our reputation of being an institution of international standing is well-earned. We take great pride in hosting students from eighty-five countries. The vision of internationalization finds expression at the University all the way from pedagogical practices to cultural activities.
I hope that you will take the time to learn more about the University and be inspired to join hands.
Prof. Dr. S B Mujumdar is the Founder and President, Symbiosis, and Chancellor, Symbiosis International (Deemed University). A renowned academic and educationalist, he has received civilian honor many times by the Government of India. He was awarded Padma Shri in 2005 and Padma Bhushan in 2012. He was also awarded Punyabhushan in 2009. The complete list of accolades is far too long for these pages, and includes Maharashtra Gaurav Award and the FIE Foundation Award.
He was born on 31 July 1935, in Gadhinglaj, Kolhapur district, Maharashtra. He won a Master’s degree in Botany and a Doctorate in Microbiology. He was the Head of the Department of Botany at the Fergusson College, Pune, for over twenty years. He has authored a number of books and published research papers in botany. He also served on the Executive Council, Senate, and Academic Council of the University of Pune for several years.
Felicitations / Honours received
- The 'Padma Bhushan' Award.
At the hands of Hon. President of India, Ms. Pratibhatai Patil. At Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi on Thursday, March 22, 2012.
- The Padmashree Award - 2005.
At the hands of His Hon. President of India, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam.
- Pune Municipal Corporation -Yashwantrao Chavan Puraskar - 1998.
At the hands of Shri. Ramakrishna Hegde, Former Union Minister for Commerce.
- Rotary Club, Pune - Service Excellence Recognition Award (SERA)1998
- Bandhuta Pratishthan Award - Promotion of Brotherhood (1997)
Social Service to the downtrodden
- Institute of Marketing & Management - Excellence in Education & Top Management Club Award
At the hands of Dr. P.C Alexander, Governor of Maharashtra
- Rotary Club of Pune Award- Promotion of International Understanding
- Pune Municipal Corporation - Outstanding College Teacher Award
At the hands of Jayantrao Tilak
Dr. Vidya Yeravdekar
Pro Chancellor, Symbiosis International University
Principal Director, Symbiosis
Dr. Vidya Yeravdekar is the Principal Director of Symbiosis Society, and the Pro Chancellor of Symbiosis International University. The Symbiosis International University is a multi-disciplinary, multinational, multi-cultural University that having 45000 students from all States of India and international students from 85 countries. The Symbiosis Society not only has under its ambit the Symbiosis International University but also has K12 Schools, College of Arts and Commerce and Museums- the Afro Asian cultural museum and the Dr. Ambedkar Museum.
Dr. Vidya holds a Post Graduate Degree in Medicine, a Degree in Law and Ph.D. in 'Internationalisation of Higher Education in India’. Having presented papers at various National & International Conferences, she has numerous research publications to her credit and has also authored several books. Ranked No.14 amongst India’s top 25 Powerful Women, Dr. Vidya has been instrumental in bringing in innovative approaches to promote internationalisation of higher education in India.
As a member of University Grants Commission (UGC) for two terms, Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE) under Ministry of Education and Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) under Ministry of External Affairs,she has been a facilitator of innovative approaches to higher education in India.
Dr. Vidya has been appointed as a member of the expert group on Global Outreach of Higher Education, formulated by UGC to implement the National Education Policy 2020 that was rolled out by the Ministry of Education Govt. of India, member of the Advisory Group of Analytical and Advisory work (ASA) World Bank, Advisory Committee of the IAU for the global survey on internationalization and member of the Board of Trustees of Muscat University, Oman.
She is a Chairperson of the FICCI Committee on Higher Education and serving 3rd term. Dr. Vidya has been appointed as Member of India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF) Trust set up by Ministry of Commerce & Industries, Government of India, to promote the ‘Brand India’ label in overseas markets, member of the Expert Group constituted by the UGC for Development of Educational Framework for Global Citizenship in Higher Education Institutions and UGC Expert Committee constituted to prepare the guidelines for Credit-Based Courses and Internship opportunities.
She has elected as Member of the Central Governing Council of Services Export Promotion Council (SEPC) set up by the Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India, Member of the General Assembly of the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR), Governing Body of Yashwantrao Chavan Academy of Development Administration (YASHADA), Governing Board member of the International Sports University, Government of Maharashtra and Member of the NEP implementation committee of Government of Maharashtra. She also serves on the Board of Directors of Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd and Bajaj Holdings & Investment Limited.
Dr. Vidya has been appointed as the first Chair of the OBREAL Global India Chapter a for a period of 3 years. She is a member on the Board of several organisations like Rayat Shikshan Sanstha, Research Committee of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), Public Health Foundation of India, Symbiosis University of Applied Sciences Indore, Symbiosis Skills and Open University, Pune. She is a member of many corporate bodies such as Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI), Confederation of India Industry (CII), Maratha Chambers of Commerce and Industries (MCCIA) and Not for profit organisations like HK Firodiya Foundation, India International Centre (IIC), Pune International Centre (PIC) & Pune Citizens Police Foundation (PCPF).
She has also been a member on many other organizations such as Independent Director on the Board of RITES Limited under Ministry of Railways, Government of India, Education Quality Upgradation and Inclusion Programme (EQUIP) Committee, Ministry of Education, Govt. of India, Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs, Yeshwantaro Chavan Maharashtra Open University, State Knowledge Advisory Board of Higher Education, Government of Andhra Pradesh, Sub-Group on Higher & Technical Education and Skill Development of Chief Minister’s Advisory Council, Government of Rajasthan.
Dr. Vidya’s hard work has won her numerous awards and accolades. Her continuous endeavour to innovate and initiate has helped Symbiosis attain its present respect and admiration. Having accomplished all such feats, Dr. Vidya is now committed to shaping Indian higher education globally through her extensive work in the field of internationalisation of higher education.
Symbiosis, capturing the spirit of its biological meaning, was formed as an international cultural and educational center in 1971 primarily to promote global understanding between Indian and foreign students through education. Today, the Symbiosis Society proudly runs 32 academic institutions ranging from kindergarten to postgraduate institutes. Thousands of students from over 32 countries pursue studies at Symbiosis Institutes. In Symbiosis, excellence is a passion. A competent, dedicated and devoted Director heads each institute. The managing committee of Symbiosis comprises of eminent academicians, industrialists, bankers and social workers, who with their knowledge and experience guide the activities of this society.
Institutes / Department of Skills & Continuing Education / Support Departments
- Symbiosis Law School (SLS), Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management (SIBM ), Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research (SICSR)
- Symbiosis Centre for Management Studies (SCMS), Pune
- Symbiosis Centre for Management and Human Resource Development (SCMHRD)
- Symbiosis Institute of International Business (SIIB)
- Symbiosis Institute of Digital and Telecom Management (SIDTM) (formerly, SITM)
- Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies (SIMS)
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication (SIMC)
- Symbiosis Institute of Operations Management (SIOM), Nashik
- Symbiosis Centre for Information Technology (SCIT)
- Symbiosis Institute of Geoinformatics (SIG)
- Symbiosis Institute of Health Sciences (SIHS)
- Symbiosis Institute of Design (SID)
- Symbiosis College of Nursing (SCON)
- Symbiosis School of Economics (SSE)
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management (SIBM), Bengaluru
- Symbiosis Institute of Technology (SIT), Pune
- Symbiosis Centre for Media and Communication (SCMC)
- Symbiosis School of Media and Communication (SSMC), Bengaluru
- Symbiosis Law School (SLS), NOIDA
- Symbiosis Centre for Management Studies (SCMS), NOIDA
- Symbiosis School of Banking and Finance (SSBF)
- Symbiosis School for Liberal Arts (SSLA)
- Symbiosis School of Biological Sciences (SSBS)
- Symbiosis School of Visual Arts And Photography (SSVAP)
- Symbiosis School of International Studies (SSIS)
- Symbiosis Law School (SLS), Hyderabad
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management (SIBM), Hyderabad
- Symbiosis School of Culinary Arts (SSCA)
- Symbiosis School of Sports Sciences (SSSS)
- Symbiosis Statistical Institute (SSI)
- Symbiosis Law School (SLS), Nagpur
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management (SIBM), Nagpur
- Symbiosis School of Planning, Architecture and Design (SSPAD), Nagpur
- Symbiosis Centre for Management Studies (SCMS), Nagpur
- Symbiosis Medical College for Women (SMCW) & Symbiosis University Hospital and Research Centre(SUHRC)
- Symbiosis Institute of Technology (SIT), Nagpur
- Symbiosis Centre for Management Studies (SCMS), Bengaluru
- English Language Teaching Institute of Symbiosis (ELTIS)
- Symbiosis Institute of Foreign and Indian Languages (SIFIL)
- Symbiosis Centre for Corporate Education (SCCE), Pune
- Symbiosis Centre for Health Skills (SCHS)
- Symbiosis Centre for Yoga (SCY)
- Symbiosis School of Open and Distance Learning (SSODL)
- Symbiosis Centre for Corporate Education (SCCE), NOIDA
- Symbiosis Centre for Corporate Education (SCCE), Nagpur
- Symbiosis Centre for Skill Development (SCSD), Nagpur
- Symbiosis Centre for Corporate Education (SCCE), Hyderabad
- Symbiosis Centre for Leadership Development
- Symbiosis Centre for International Education (SCIE)
- Symbiosis Centre for Research and Innovation (SCRI)
- Symbiosis Teaching Learning Resource Centre (STLRC)
- Symbiosis Community Outreach Programme and Extension (SCOPE)
- Symbiosis Centre for Entrepreneurship and Innovation (SCEI)
- Symbiosis Centre for Alumni Engagement (SCAE)
- Symbiosis Centre for Emotional Wellbeing (SCEW)
- Symbiosis Centre for European Studies (SCES)
- Symbiosis Centre for India Australia Studies (SCIAS)
- Department of Sports, Recreation and Wellness (DSRW)
- Symbiosis Centre for Advanced Legal Studies and Research (SCALSAR)
- Symbiosis Centre for Waste Resource Management (SCWRM)
- Symbiosis Centre for Stem Cell Research (SCSCR)
- Symbiosis Centre for Behavioural Studies (SCBS)
- Symbiosis Centre for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (SCNN)
- Symbiosis Centre for Medical Image Analysis (SCMIA)
- Symbiosis Centre for Applied Artificial Intelligence (SCAAI)
- Symbiosis Centre for Research on International Higher Education (SCRIHE)
- Symbiosis Centre for Climate Change and Sustainability (SCCCS)
- Symbiosis Centre for Urban Studies (SCUS)